Texas Forestry Association’s Legislative Affairs Committee meets regularly to discuss ways to support and develop state and federal legislation that is beneficial to the forestry community. They maintain and expand upon an effective and responsive Grassroots Network of TFA members, conduct “Meet the Candidate” forums and continue to build and work with coalitions.
In addition, Legislative Committee members protect and improve upon state and federal tax laws which affect the forestry community, encourage involvement of members in the legislative process, conduct forestry tours for Congressional & State Legislative Staff, seek solutions to the county road problems and establish communications with local officials.
PAST ACCOMPLISHMENTS INCLUDE
- Assisted in passing the Timber Bill of Sale law.
- Assisted in passing the Texas Reforestation & Conservation Act providing tax incentives for reforestation and restricted use areas.
- Assisted in passing a trespass law allowing private landowners to post their property using "purple" paint.
- Assisted in passing a bill that allows log trucks to carry 80,000 lb. GVW loads with shorter distances between axles.
- Assisted in passing a reforestation bill that encourages landowners to plant trees in open space land by maintaining the current agriculture tax values for the first fifteen years from planting before increasing the tax to the higher timber productivity value.